How to Obtain a West Virginia Medical Marijuana Card
Both medical cannabis patients and physicians who can issue them must register with the West Virginia Department of Health and Human Resources (DHHR).
Find a Registered Medical Marijuana Doctor
Doctors must first apply to participate in the Medical Cannabis Program. To qualify, a physician must meet the following requirements:
- Show expertise in treating serious medical conditions
- Complete a required four-hour training class
- Hold a valid and unexpired or unsuspended license to practice medicine in West Virginia
- Apply online to the Bureau for Public Health, Office of Medical Cannabis
Once a doctor has registered with DHHR, they will be added to an electronic database that includes all physicians who are registered with the Medical Cannabis Program. This database is available on DHHR’s website. Many physicians who are registered with the program also offer online services and telehealth evaluations if there isn’t a registered physician near you.
Register with the Department of Health and Human Resources
Like physicians, patients must apply online with DHHR to get a medical marijuana card. To apply, a patient will need to submit certain supporting documents:
- A digital photo, which will be used as an identifying picture on your patient card
- Valid state-issued photo ID
- Proof of residency in the state of West Virginia such as utility bills, pay stubs, bank statements, etc.
- Physician’s Certification for Qualified Patients forms as provided by a cannabis-licensed physician
- Payment or a financial hardship waiver if one was requested and approved
DHHR will review applications within 30-60 days of submission. They will notify patients by email if their application is approved or denied or if further information or corrections are required.